NIRA Uganda is responsible to create, manage, maintain & operationeralise the National Identification Register by registering all citizens of Uganda, registering non-citizens of Uganda who are lawfully residents in Uganda, registering births and deaths, assigning a unique National Identification Number to every person registered.
Below are important information you might need to know concerning NIRA Uganda
HOW TO REGISTER FOR A NATIONAL ID
Requirements for National ID Registration
A. REQUIREMENTS FOR NATIONAL ID CARD REGISTRATION FOR CITIZENS BY BIRTH
- An LC I letter detailing the applicant’s parents’ names, tribe, clan and this letter should be stamped by the DISO.
- Photocopy of parents National IDs if they are alive, in case they are deceased, the letter of recommendation should clearly indicate so.
- Any other supporting document like a birth certificate
B. REQUIREMENTS FOR NATIONAL ID CARD REGISTRATION FOR CITIZENS BY REGISTRATION
- All the requirements in “A” above.
- Copy of Certificate of Citizenship by naturalization or certificate of citizenship by registration as appropriate
- Any other supporting documents e.g. copy of birth certificate, passport, Marriage certificate, academic documents, driving permit, baptism card, voter’s card etc.
- Copy of NID of parents (Where available).
C. REQUIREMENTS FOR NATIONAL ID CARD REGISTRATION FOR DUAL CITIZENS
- Copy of Certificate of Dual Citizenship issued by DCIC
- Passport(s) of the applicant
- Copy of NID of parents (where available).
How much does it cost to get a NID card? NIRA Uganda
The National ID card is issued free of charge for the first time but a fee of UGX 50000/= is charged upon replacement of a lost, damaged or defaced card.
I registered and have never got my National ID card.
- Issuance of National ID cards is done continuously at the NIRA district offices across the country and the five KCCA Divisions of Kampala
- Dial *216# to check for the following;
- Application RequirementsStatus of application
- Replace ID
- Correction of ID Info
- Check NIN